This weekend I got to thinking about why people end up at certain colleges. There's a ton of different colleges, in different cities, all over the world. Each campus has a different student body, different atmospheres, with hundreds of clubs and organizations to get involved in. So, I asked myself how a group of students, all brought up in the same school with the same teachers, can each view a different college as their
"perfect fit." I understand individuality, but I find it amazing. Some teenagers are attracted to Austin, the "never sleeping" city, while some teenagers are completely in love with the home feeling of College Station. I guess the time has just finally come where we get to make our decision, a time we've been waiting for since middle school or before, and I love hearing everybody's two cents on where they want to go and what they find so compelling about the location and atmosphere of the school. We've been one body of people for so long, and now we're about to all split up and go down our own paths to the next chapter of our lives. Time really does fly, even if it isn't always fun.
Why am I blogging about this, where does it fit into what we've been learning about? I quickly realized how far we want to travel for college and where we want to go depends on our past experiences, just as our past experiences determines how we perceive fiction. If we have a controlling, over bearing parent, most likely we'll want to get farther away than someone who already has the freedom they've gained through their parents trust.
Stories, stories, stories. On the hour long drive home from Austin, nothing good was on the radio, so I turned it off and thought for a while. I realized our story isn't ending as we graduate and move on from everything we've always know. We aren't shutting the book forever and never looking back at the pages we've taken so long to put together, we're just simply starting a new chapter, building on the foundation we've started here in the eighteen years we've spent here in our hometown. Eighteen years of singing the school song on Friday nights, dressed in red and white, yelling until our vocal cords are done. Eighteen years of driving down the same road to get home from school every day, so by the time you're sixteen you don't even have to think twice about where you're going. Eighteen years of memories, all in one small town. It's quite compelling to think about, always giving me the chills when the memories finds their way into my brain. As we spend these last 8 months together in good ol' Belton, Texas, think about the things you want to squeeze into the end of your chapter: a friendship with a person you've always been interested in, a club you've always wanted to start but never took the time to. This is the time. Throwing all fears and doubts beside, this is YOUR story, and leaving something out of your story because you're afraid of failing is a tragedy. Listen to your heart, and follow your heart. It will get you where you want to be.
Thats definitely true. Also, I think what college a person decides to go to reflects their personality and their aspirations. Each decision we make affects the rest of our lives. Since we've all been together for so long, it will be hard to say goodbye to everyone we've come to know. However, it's for the best. We'll become more independent and learn how to live life on our own. It's never "goodbye", think of it as "see ya later." After all, we're all bound to meet up again. I can't wait for that day when we come back for our high school reunion. That'll be a sight to see:)
ReplyDeletethis moved me, and made me think of how litte time it took to get here, andwhat little time we have left. it really sucks that so many people are graduating early, i dont get their big rush. their just gonna sit at home for a semester, or go to college and miss out on the last few months we've been waiting for, since kindergarten. loved your post, madi
ReplyDeleteI'm also really affected by thinking about this. Although I've never lived in the same place for longer than three years, this small town experience lent me an encounter with issues I hadn't encountered before. i've always known i would leave home to go somewhere new, because that's what i'm used to. But being around people who have had such a tigh-knit community makes me re-asess the values of staying closer to home- even if I don't feel I quite belong, for once, it's nice to be in a quiet place with simple acts of community togetherness.
ReplyDeleteThis post thrust me back in time ten years. I remember the feeling of anxiousness...just waiting for that moment where I walked the stage and shifted my tassel to the opposite side of the mortar board. Yet, despite the anxiousness, I experienced a definite sense of overwhelming emotion. I guess a series of "lasts" spread out over a year will do that to anyone. Take your time. This year will fly by - make no doubt. Breathe in, breathe out, and soak every moment you can out of the year. :)
ReplyDeleteAwesome post, Madison.
Great stuff. Until this year, high school has just been something I have to survive. But as I saw all the seniors leave in the last month and as I make realizations about how short this year really is, I want to make senior year last. I don't want a dull moment. I don't want to leave Belton with any regrets or lost relationships. Time does fly.
ReplyDelete